How to make a big batch of green, healthy, starch free, gluten free, sugar free, low fat vegan soup for the cold season.
- 6 LB Brussels Sprouts (ends removed, halved)
- 1 Green Bell Pepper (seeded, chopped large)
- 1 Red Onion (chopped, large)
- 6 Garlic cloves (halved)
- 1 1/2 C Lucini Premium Select Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 1/2 C Lentils (preferably brown)
- 4oz Savory (fresh, cut off stem, chopped rough)
- 4oz Thyme (fresh, leaves removed from stem)
- 4oz Rosemary (fresh, leaves removed from stem)
- 1 bunch Italian flat-leaf Parsley (stems removed)
- 1 QT vegan Stock (if available – if not substitute water)
- 3 QT Water
- 1 TB Black Pepper (fresh, cracked)
- 2 TB Sea Salt
- Chili Pepper (optional, fresh, dried)
Preheat oven to 450. Toss the Brussels in a large roasting pan with 1/2 cup of the Extra Virgin Olive Oil and roast until slightly browned – about 30 min.
Heat 1/4 cup of the Extra Virgin Olive Oil in large stock pot on high heat. Add the garlic, onion and bell pepper and cook until just soft. Add the herbs and parsley (you can substitute any other fresh herbs you choose, but dried herbs will be overpowering) and stir well. Add the roasted Brussels Sprouts, approx 2 tbs sea salt and 1 tbs cracked pepper. Stir well. Add the lentils, stock and water. Stir again. Add the chili pepper (if desired).
Bring to a rapid boil. Cover and reduce the heat to simmer. Cook for approximately 35 min (stirring often) until the sprouts are very soft (upon test). Taste, and adjust for seasoning, if necessary.
Use immersion blender to process into a smooth soup. Allow to cool to a safe-to-eat temperature, then serve warm.