This version of Chicken Parmigiana (Parmesan) is baked/broiled, rather than fried for great calorie/fat savings without losing any flavor. No one believes it is baked when I serve it!!
- 2 TB Garlic (fresh, chopped fine)
- 1/4 cup Lucini Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 bottle Lucini Rustic Tomato Basil Sauce (Artichoke, Spicy, Marinara & Olive/Caper work as well)
- 1/2 C Basil + 4 large leaves (fresh)
- 1 tsp Lucini 10-Year Balsamic Vinegar
- 1/4 tsp Sugar
- 1 1/4 tsp Salt
- 1/2 tsp Black Pepper (fresh, ground)
- 2 TB Mustard (dijon is best)
- 1 TB Lucini White Wine Vinegar
- 2 TB Butter (unsalted, melted)
- 4 Chicken Thighs (skinless, boneless)
- 1/2 C Bread Crumbs
- 1 C Lucini Organic Stravecchio Parmigiano Reggiano
- 4 slices Mozzarella (fresh, 1/4 inch thick)
In a large saucepan, heat the garlic and oil together over medium high heat until the garlic just turns light gold, about 1 minute. Stir in the tomatoes, basil, sugar, a pinch of salt and pepper. Bring to a boil and then simmer on low until sauce thickens – 15-20 minutes. Taste the sauce and adjust seasoning. Cover and keep warm.
Preheat oven to 450°F. Whisk together mustard, vinegar, 1/4 tsp of salt and pepper, and 1 TB melted butter in a large bowl, add the chicken pieces, and toss to coat well. In another bowl, mix together the bread crumbs, grated cheese, and 1/4 teaspoon of pepper. Mix well and add in 1 TB melted butter. Then dredge each chicken piece in the crumb mixture until well coated. Place each thigh on a non-stick baking pan (or Silpat) and press the crumbs in gently. Bake in the middle of the oven until golden and cooked through, about 15 minutes.
Remove from oven and turn heat up to broil. Place a basil leaf, then a slice of mozzarella on each thigh. Return to oven and broil for 2 minutes. Ready to serve – I usually serve with pasta.