I came up with this recipe after wondering whether one could make tasty mashed potatoes with out dairy. The obvious fill in was olive oil and using the best infused oils gives you an amazing dish – one that will pleasantly surprise your Thanksgiving guests.
- 2 LB Potatoes (cleaned well, unpeeled, Yukon Gold, Red Bliss or Russet)
- 2 Garlic cloves (minced)
- 1/2 C Lucini Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 2 tsp Kosher Salt (sea salt will also work)
- 1/4 tsp Paprika (sweet, smoked, pimenton or esplette)
- 1/4 tsp Black Pepper (fresh, ground)
- 1/8 tsp Turmeric (optional)
- 1 tsp Lucini Pinot Grigio White Wine Vinegar
- 2 tsp Lemon Juice (fresh, orange juice is better than bottled lemon)
- 2 TB Lucini Garlic-Infused Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 TB Lucini Basil-Infused Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 TB Chives or Scallions (optional)
Cut your potatoes into even, large chunks (2 inches is optimal) and boil in salted water until they are just cooked through (12-20 minutes). Strain under cool water to stop the cooking process.
Meanwhile, in 1/4 C olive oil, cook the garlic on medium-low heat until it just turns golden (3-6 minutes). Pour this mixture into a bowl. Add the salt, paprika, turmeric, black pepper, lemon juice, vinegar and remaining olive oils. Whisk until well mixed.
Mash your potatoes (if you use a food mill, etc., process the potatoes now) and then add to your serving bowl. Add the olive oil mixture and stir until well distributed. For some color, top with chives or scallions.