- 1 1/2 LB Chicken Thighs
- 3 TB Lucini Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 Onion (medium, chopped large)
- 5 Carrots (medium, consistent thickness, cut lengthwise – 1 inch)
- 2 tsp Paprika (smoked or Hungarian sweet)
- 1 tsp Turmeric (optional)
- 1 C Flour (All-purpose, sifted)
- 1 C Chicken Stock (homemade or low-sodium canned if necessary)
- 2 TB Dill (fresh, chopped fine)
- 2 tsp Baking Powder
- 10 TB Milk, divided
- Black Pepper (fresh, ground)
In a large pot with a tight-fitting lid, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add the onion, carrots, turmeric and paprika. Cover and cook, stirring occasionally, until the onion is soft, about 5 minutes. Add 1/4 cup flour and cook, stirring, 30 seconds. Add the stock and bring to a boil, stirring constantly; season with salt and pepper. Add the chicken to the pot; reduce heat to medium-low. Cover and cook, stirring occasionally, 20 minutes.
In a medium bowl, whisk together remaining 3/4 cup flour, dill, baking powder, and 1/2 teaspoon salt. With a fork, gradually stir in 1/2 cup milk ( 8 tablespoons) to form a moist and soft batter. It should be just a little thicker than pancake batter and should easily drop from the tip of a spoon (add additional 2 tablespoons milk if too thick). Roll the dough out on a solid surface, about 1/8″ thick and cut into strips, 1″ to 2″ long.
With floured hands drop the strips of dough into the slowly boiling broth, keeping them spaced apart (dumplings will swell as they cook). Cover, and simmer until chicken is tender and dumplings are firm, 20 minutes.