This easy to prepare, but time consuming, dish was inspired by a wonderful meal at Daniel, where the short ribs are braised for 8 hours! I keep it down to around 5, and the ribs ain’t Daniel’s, but the final product is melt-in-your-mouth good. The fig vinegar adds a wonderful dimension to the dish, as the sweetness highlights a similar flavor in the meat.
- 4 Short Ribs (about 1/2 LB each)
- 4 TB Lucini Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 3/4 tsp Salt (high quality)
- 1/2 tsp Black Pepper (fresh ground)
- 1 tsp Smoked Paprika
- 2 Carrots (about 1 C, coarsely chopped)
- 1 Onion (about 1 C, coarsely chopped)
- 4 Garlic cloves (2-3 TB, finely chopped)
- 1 C Lucini Organic Plum Tomatoes (about 1/2 jar, finely chopped)
- 3 C Red Wine (preferably full bodied, definitely not sweet)
- 4 C Stock (beef or poultry)
- 2 Bay Leaves
- 3 TB Lucini Fig Infused Balsamic Vinegar
Preheat oven to 250°F.
Pat wash the ribs and dry well. Season the ribs all over with the salt, ground pepper and paprika and then dust with flour. Add 12 TB oil to a heavy, oven-safe pot and sear the ribs on all sides until well-browned (about 7-10 minutes). Transfer to a plate and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
Heat 2 TB olive oil and add the carrots, onion and garlic. Cook over moderate heat until softened, about 5 minutes. Add the tomatoes and bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Add wine and boil again, stirring occasionally, until sauce is reduced by half, about 8 minutes.
Add wine, stock, bay leaves, 2 TB vinegar, and remaining salt and pepper to sauce and bring to a simmer. Skim fat from surface, then add beef along with any juices accumulated on plate and cover pot with a tight-fitting lid. Transfer to oven and braise until beef is very tender, 4 to 5 hours. Every 30 minutes, skim and discard fat from the surface.
Pour sauce through a medium-mesh sieve into a large bowl and then skim fat from sauce. Boil sauce, if necessary, until thickened and reduced to 2-3 cups. Drizzle with remaining TB of fig vinegar and season to taste with salt and pepper. Serve the sauce with the ribs.