This simple pasta recipe is great as a side dish for meals at home or a certain hit when you bring it to BBQs and picnics, a nice variation to traditional macaroni salad. The Lucini olive oil and artisinal vinaigrette are a healthier alternative to the usual mayonnaise-based dressings and add a lot more flavor to the dish. Just about any fresh vegetable works well here, so add or substitute your favorites. I find using about 1.5 – 2 cups of fresh veggies per pound of pasta works best. I have added pesto, sun-dried tomatoes, broccoli, onions, pineapple, roasted peppers, finely diced carrots and celery, eggs, cooked mushrooms, corn, leftover greens and even cubed turkey, ham and Spam in the past.
- 1 LB Pasta (fresh or dried)
- 2 TB Lucini Tuscan Basil Olive Oil (Robust Garlic works as well)
- 1/4 C Lucini Delicate Cucumber & Shallot Vinaigrette
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- 1/4 tsp Black Pepper (fresh, ground)
- 1/4 C Roasted Red pepper (chopped small)
- 1 C Peas (fresh, shelled or frozen)
- 3 Scallions, (chopped small)
- 1/4 C Olives (chopped, black, red or green)
- 1/4 C Lucini Organic Parmiggiano Reggiano
Cook pasta according to directions until al dente.
Drain pasta well and coat with salt, pepper, olive oil and cucumber vinaigrette until well distributed. Add vegetables and stir well. Refrgerate for at least 1 hour (I find overnight is best). Bring salad up to room temperature, top with grated parmesan and serve.