This simple potato salad recipe is always a hit at family meals, picnics and barbecues. If you find potatoes at a farmers market, those will work best in this recipe, as the potatoes are front and center here, not hiding behind strong mayonnaise or dressing. I love creamy potato salads as well, but this one brings out the full flavor of the potatoes through roasting, the light spices and fruity olive oil add a beautiful color and complimentary taste. If so inclined, you can jazz it up a bit with some chopped olives, green peppers or even kim chee!
- 1 LB Potatoes (yukon gold, red bliss, etc.)
- 1 tsp Turmeric
- 1 tsp Smoked paprika
- 1 tsp Chili Powder
- 1 tsp Mustard Seed (or Flax Seed)
- 2 TB light flavored Vinegar
- 1 TB Salt (sea or grey salt work best)
- 1/4 C Extra Virgin Olive Oil (try Lucini Tuscan Basil Infused Extra Virgin Olive Oil for a summery kick!)
- 2 TB Chives
- 2 TB Scallions (or Celery)
Preheat oven to 450. Mix oil, turmeric, chili powder, paprika and mustard seed. Cut potatoes into even, small bite size pieces and then toss in oil. Roast potatoes for 10 minutes, transfer to a bowl and then cool in freezer until potatoes reach room temperature.
Mix other ingredients well. Add potatoes and stir until all the potato pieces are coated.