This pie is very easy to make, but bursting with Mexican flavor. It is a wonderful entree, but can also be served as an appetizer at room temperature with Margaritas at a Cinco de Mayo bash. The chorizo and cheese are optional for those looking to avoid pork or extra fat and anyone looking for a spicy treat can leave in the jalapeno seeds and/or double the chili powder.
- 1 LB Ground Beef (ground poultry, particularly Turkey, will work as well)
- 2 TB Lucini Premium Select Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1/2 C Red Onion, chopped
- 3 Bay Leaves
- 1/4 LB Chorizo (optional)
- 1/2 C fresh Mushrooms (Shiitake, wild or Cremini, optional)
- 2 Poblano peppers, chopped
- 3 Jalapeno peppers, seeded and chopped
- 1 tsp fresh Thyme
- 2 tsp fresh Oregano (dried will work as well)
- 2 tsp Chili Powder
- 3/4 tsp Salt
- 1/8 tsp Cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp Hot Sauce
- 1 C Lucini Spicy Tuscan Tomato Sauce
- 1/4 C Cheddar, grated
- 1/4 C Queso Fresco, grated
- 1 Pie Shell
- Lucini Fiery Chili Infuse Extra Virgin Olive Oil (optional)
Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Brown pie shell in oven until just golden – about 8 minutes.
Over medium heat, saute onions, beef, garlic, bay leaves and mushrooms and chorizo (if used) until beef is brown. Drain any excess oil. Add salt, spices, hot sauce and peppers; mix for 1 minute. Add tomato sauce and cook for 5 more minutes.
Spoon mixture into pie shell and bake for 25 minutes. Top with cheese and bake for 5 more minutes until cheese is fully melted. Allow pie to cool 10-15 minutes before serving. For a decadent finish, top each piece with a splash of Lucini Fiery Chili Olive Oil.