This recipe is very simple, healthy and flavorful, a spin on ubiquitous Three Bean Salad. There is room to have a lot of fun with substitutions here: any cooked lentils can be used – for example green, black beluga or red. Papaya or melon will work instead of mango, scallions substitute for red onion, and garbanzo, adzuki or kidney beans can replace the black beans. I have also thrown in cucumber, corn, parsley and bulgur. It is a fun salad to bring to picnics or social meals – just refrigerate for 20 minutes and the salad will get back to room temperature on your travels. Double the recipe and you will have a nice side dish for your lunch the following day!
- 1/2 C Mango, chopped
- 1 C canned Black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 C Red Bell Pepper
- 1/2 C cooked lentils
- 1 Jalapeño pepper, seeded and chopped fine
- 1/4 C Red Onion, chopped fine
- 2 TB fresh Cilantro, chopped fine
- 2 TB Lime Juice, fresh squeezed
- 2 TB Orange Juice, fresh squeezed or purchased
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 2 TB Lucini Garlic – Infused Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Preparation: Mix ingredients well in serving bowl. Chill for 20 minutes and then bring to room temperature for 10 minutes before serving.